KATY PROPERTY CRIMES LAWYER
The property a person owns covers everything from physical property to assets that may be intangible. The possible property crimes are broad, and therefore Texas law is as well. A Katy property crimes lawyer must be prepared to defend clients on charges that may crisscross into several different areas of criminal law.
At Cory Roth Law Office we know that not everyone charged with a crime is guilty and that everyone, no matter what they may or may not have done, deserves the vigorous defense and fair trial that our justice system is built on. From our Katy office, we serve people throughout Fort Bend County and Harris County. Call today at (832) 819-5290 or contact us online to set up a consultation.
4 EXAMPLES OF PROPERTY CRIMES IN TEXAS
Property crimes, broadly speaking, are defined by the Texas criminal code as anything that involves stealing, damaging, or destroying the tangible or intangible property of someone else. This broad definition is called criminal mischief. There are as many possible ways this can come about as there are people and types of property, but here are four common examples…
- Breaking & Entering: A B&E charge doesn’t require anything to actually be taken. The simple act of entering someone else’s property without permission is a crime in itself. If property is actually taken, then charges of burglary can follow.
- Arson: Starting a fire with the intent to damage or destroy property can result in arson charges. For arson to be a criminal offense, the prosecutor must prove intent. However, the defendant who did not act with deliberate intent might still be subject to a civil lawsuit if it is shown that they were negligent. That’s one of many reasons defendants should seek an aggressive and committed Katy property crimes lawyer to advocate for them.
- Vandalism: The physical destruction of property is a crime. Sometimes this happens when people act in groups. A person that might have tried to stop the vandalism could get swept up in the charges. This might be shown in court through witness testimony, text messages or anything else where the defendant sought to stop the action that others ended up taking.
- Fraud: People might not think of something like overstating income to obtain a mortgage or line of credit as a property crime, but it can fall into this category. Another example that people may not be aware of is an adult misstating their age for the purposes of soliciting a minor. This action can lead to other charges, including sex crimes, but it is also a property crime.
Charges of property crimes place a defendant at risk of jail time, a mark on their permanent record and the loss of reputation in their community. The good news is that there are viable defenses available to them. Cory Roth Law Office explores all avenues of defense. Call our Katy office today at (832) 819-5290 or contact us online to set up a consultation.
DEFENSES AGAINST AN ASSAULT CHARGE
Every circumstance will be different and it’s up to the Katy assault attorney to do their due diligence in investigating the incident. Generally speaking though, defense strategies can include the following…
- Self-Defense: Texas law gives everyone the right of self-defense. The criteria is that the defendant must have been an imminent danger. The jury will decide if feeling danger was reasonable given the circumstances, and the assault an appropriate response. The right of self-defense extends to the right to defend one’s property.
- Mistaken Identity: This defense might apply in situations where crowds were involved, such as at a bar or major outdoor event. In our era of cellphone video, reliable DNA evidence and other means of identification, a diligent defense lawyer has ways of working with a client who is facing unjust accusations.
- Severity of the Injuries: In cases where the defendant is guilty of the assault, it’s still possible that injuries have been exaggerated, turning what should be simple assault into an aggravated assault charge. Getting charges reduced is first and foremost about the criminal penalties. But convictions on assault can be used as the basis for a civil lawsuit against the defendant.
Challenging the severity of injuries up front in the criminal justice process can make the difference in potential damage awards in civil court.
Cory Roth Law Office is there for defendants no matter what. The promise of the American justice system is that everyone deserves a fair trial and to us, fairness means a truly aggressive and vigorous defense on behalf of every client who comes through our door.
Call today at (832) 819-5290 or contact us online to set up a consultation.
MEET YOUR ADVOCATE
ATTORNEY & FOUNDER
My name is Cory Roth, and it would be my great honor, privilege, and responsibility to be your attorney. While the previous statement is true, it is cliché; it is something every lawyer will say. I know you have choices when it comes to picking a lawyer, so I want to tell you what sets me apart. First and foremost, I don’t trust the government and neither should you. I have learned in short time that prosecutors don’t like to work, and many of them don’t tell the truth. Therefore, it is my job to not accept anything that police, …
WHY CHOOSE ATTORNEY ROTH?
YOUR DEFENSE CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
A REPUTATION FOR BEING A FEARLESS FIGHTER ON BEHALF OF THE ACCUSED
QUALIFIED GUIDANCE FROM AN EXPERIENCED ATTORNEY FROM START TO FINISH
DIRECT ACCESS TO AN EXPERIENCED CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY THROUGHOUT YOUR CASE
A CREATIVE APPROACH TO FINDING PERSONALIZED SOLUTIONS IN EACH CASE
AN UNWAVERING DRIVE TO ACHIEVE THE BEST POSSIBLE RESULTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
A PROVEN RECORD OF ACHIEVING SUCCESSFUL RESULTS FOR PAST CLIENTS